Underwriting Risk Adviser
We have an exciting opportunity for an Underwriting Risk Adviser to join our Underwriting, Pricing and Insurance team based in Leeds!
The Underwriting, Pricing and Insurance Division is at the forefront of managing the financial risk of MPS worldwide. Working closely with the wider Underwriting team, you will play a pivotal role in implementing underwriting policy and ensuring correct decisions are applied. The work of the Underwriting Risk Adviser puts our members first by delivering an excellent service which is trusted, valued and provides fair outcomes.
This role sits under MPS’ ‘Hybrid Persona’ meaning a blend of home and office-based working, to suit you and the needs of the business. This is typically 1-2 days per week on-site.
We know flexibility is important to people and at MPS we want you to have the best work-life balance possible. We therefore welcome applications from all candidates, including those who may benefit from flexible working – e.g. part time, job sharing or flexible hours.
- Support MPS and MPSUW underwriting to assess risk presented by new business, mid-term changes, renewals, adverse risk and post membership disclosure compliance (e.g. income audits)
- Improve the membership risk profile to ensure a fair use of the member fund
- Ensure that underwriting decisions are correctly and appropriately communicated to members
- Identify and report risks and issues identified within Underwriting and across MPS
- Acting as a point of escalation for the Underwriting Technicians and providing mentoring / coaching as and when required.
- Analyse member profiles and identify high risk members using appropriate tools / techniques.
- Assess risk relating to both discretionary and insurance corporate business working closely with the wider underwriting, pricing and sales teams to support growth.
The Ideal Candidate
- Educated to Degree Level or equivalent experience.
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience of working in an underwriting, risk environment or similar exposure to operating in a regulated environment
We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, and we encourage you to apply even if you feel you do not match 100% of the technical requirements.
Medical Protection Society prides itself in being a collaborative, forward-thinking and inclusive employer where everyone can be themselves and embrace each other’s unique individuality, background or heritage. What’s important to MPS is that our people live our values of Member First, Ambitious, Determined and Empowered.
- Up to 10% discretionary annual bonus
- 15% pension contribution (3% from you, 12% from us – optional additional matched 3% contributions, e.g. 6% from you, 15% from us)
- 25 days annual leave plus flexible bank holidays (option to buy/sell additional 5 days)
- Private Medical Cover
- Healthcare cash plan
- 6x salary death in service
- A personal GP service enabling you to get a video consultation with a NHS-registered private GP
- Employee Assistance Programme
- A range of shopping discounts from major high-street retailers
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of almost 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
Our philosophy is to support safe practice in medicine and dentistry by helping to avert problems in the first place. We also actively campaign for regulatory and legal reforms that benefit members and the wider healthcare professions. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society