The MPS Foundation Board Member
We are excited to be on the search for 4 new members of The MPS Foundation Board.
Introduction to The MPS Foundation
The MPS Foundation is a new, global, not-for-profit research initiative that aims to help shape the future of patient safety through the funding of ambitious research across healthcare, including the dental and private healthcare sectors. Using this research to develop an international knowledge base that can be applied locally, The MPS Foundation aims to help improve patient safety and care, enhance clinician wellbeing and reduce clinical risks.
You can find out more about The MPS Foundation here.
Introduction to the MPS Foundation Governing Board
The Board is responsible for the long-term governance of The MPS Foundation on behalf of MPS Council. They will direct the long-term running and strategy of The MPS Foundation and provide advice and insight on patient safety and clinician wellbeing research matters for consideration by MPS’s Council and Exec.
Introduction to the position of Foundation Board Member
As a member of the Board you will help ensure that The MPS Foundation adheres to the principles of good governance and operates effectively and ethically in all of its activities at all times. You will also provide advice and insight on research into patient safety and the wellbeing of healthcare professionals as well as helping The MPS Foundation hear and understand the voice of MPS members.
We envision this position requiring around 4 hours of your time per month, plus attendance to one board meeting each quarter.
The main responsibilities of the Board include:
- Review and approve The MPS Foundation’s long-term strategic plan
- Review and approve The MPS Foundation management’s plans to implement key strategic initiatives
- Review The MPS Foundation’s financial budgets and monitor actual financial performance
- Review and monitor all other actual key business performance metrics
- Responsible for The MPS Foundation Risk Appetite and risks associated with its activities
- Approve and oversee:
- Grant programmes and subsequent award decisions
- Partnerships with third parties
- Annual research priorities
- Research competition criteria and subsequent awards
- Champion the work of The MPS Foundation within countries and professions by:
- Encouraging participation in The MPS Foundation programmes and activities
- Raising the profile and disseminating the results of The MPS Foundation
- Provide insight into latest thinking in patient care, safety, outcomes and clinician well-being
- Represent the views of Council to The MPS Foundation team
- Report The MPS Foundation's progress and activities to Council
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for candidates who will be genuine ambassadors for The MPS Foundation.
Skilful in stakeholder engagement and collaborative working to achieve results, you are someone who thinks and acts strategically on a global scale.
You will have experience in at least one (or more) of the following fields:
- Dental and/or Medical professional (practised or practising)
- Working/worked in a private sector healthcare environment
- Conducting or managing research into areas of patient safety and patient care
- Conducting or managing research into clinician wellbeing
- Research funding and research governance
You will hold knowledge in the following areas:
- Clinical and non-clinical developments in healthcare and/or dentistry
- Global healthcare and dental environments
- Private healthcare and dental practice globally
- Structural changes in dental and healthcare, clinical practice, healthcare and dental regulation and legislation
- Patient safety and clinician wellbeing
- Research practice, methodologies and governance
It would be great if you have experience working in a research environment or knowledge of a specialist area of healthcare and/or dental practice that widens the knowledge base of the Board. Ideally your experience will enable you to forecast likely developments that could impact The MPS Foundation.
Diversity & Inclusion
We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, and we encourage you to apply even if you feel you do not match 100% of the technical requirements. We celebrate diversity, promote inclusivity and strive to create a work environment which ensures everyone can be heard.
What’s important to MPS is that our people live our values of Member First, Ambitious, Determined and Empowered.
If you have any questions about any advertised role and how we can support you, please contact our Recruitment Team.
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of almost 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
Our philosophy is to support safe practice in medicine and dentistry by helping to avert problems in the first place. We also actively campaign for regulatory and legal reforms that benefit members and the wider healthcare professions. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society