This Corporate Business Development Director role is an exciting opportunity to join the world’s leading, member-owned, not-for-profit protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals in a role that will help them spearhead their newest corporate initiative. The appointed individual will be centrally involved in the development of a business in its formative stages and will enjoy the opportunity and exposure that comes with establishing a new growth vehicle for MPS, leveraging their own and MPS’s existing capability and proven expertise.
MPS recently gained Lloyd’s approval to launch a Special Purpose Arrangement (SPA) to underwrite risks for corporate healthcare entities under a new MPS Brand, ‘Healthcare Protection’. As a result, they are looking to bring in a new Corporate Business Development Director to oversee the development and delivery of their new Corporate Insurance strategy; accelerating sales growth for a new unique and exciting proposition from the world’s leading protection mutual for healthcare professionals and organisations.
The Corporate Business Development Director will lead the development of the MPS B2B insurance strategy for its new Lloyd’s vehicle and the delivery of this strategy working in close collaboration with MPS internal teams, Everest Insurance, Lloyd’s third-party managing agency Asta and the Corporation of Lloyd’s. As part of this, the role will be integral to establishing the MPS brand and value proposition in a new and growing sector of the market, leveraging their existing network, experience and expertise. They will also be central to achieving targets identifying and developing business development opportunities and building capability over time, to maximise revenue and long-term value creation globally, in the corporate healthcare market. This will include ensuring effective and efficient operation of business development, sales and underwriting process models in line with the strategic vision to build a disciplined Corporate Insurance offering. The role will be based in any of their jurisdictions worldwide, but with frequent travel to the UK Head Office in London and Leeds. The role will report to the Executive Director - Business Development and Engagement.
- Promote the unique MPS Healthcare Protection brand and its value proposition to potential B2B clients, key stakeholders including the Lloyd’s ecosystem and its trading partners
- Work closely with MPS’ UK and international networks and leverage Lloyds’ global reach, expertise and market profile to identify prospects, relationships, and BD opportunities for profitable account development of specialist Medical Malpractice insurance and or the range of B2B products and services
- Maintain regular and open dialogue with MPS senior leadership as well as Everest and Asta to ensure that the account written is aligned with the business plan and strategy, producing and managing reporting metrics to assess progress to plan and objectives
- Build and deliver sales and marketing plans to drive revenue streams and business relationships, establishing long-term value-creation across all geographies and products
- Engage with the wider MPS team and its members to develop new and innovative products to meet the demands of B2B, private healthcare organisations
- Lead client and stakeholder management working with internal MPS teams
- Provide direction to capitalise on sales of various channel-to-market strategies for both winning new business and retention of members through the member lifecycle
- Create an environment of understanding, relating to the importance of risk identification and management, ensuring regulated business process and controls are in place to manage the division within the risk appetite
The Ideal Candidate
As a proven, talented and entrepreneurial senior sales professional, the ideal candidate will bring resilience and tenacity, high emotional intelligence and a broad commercial network in the global medical malpractice arena. He/she will have extensive experience in the following areas: Lloyd’s insurance market; healthcare and/or indemnity sales; financial services; insurance sales; business development.
- Strong professional network and reputation within the private healthcare insurance arena
- Deep technical understanding of Medical Malpractice insurance
- Strong team player with ability to collaborate in a matrix management organisation
- Experience to add value and shape our proposition, product and services strength and commitment to delivering high quality outcomes and achieve targets
- Ability to strike balance between high integrity and the ethical issues of the sector whilst maintaining commercial determination to deliver results
- Understands how to leverage an organisation to maximise business opportunity
- Transparency to collaboratively shape models and process articulating them to senior stakeholders
- Experience leading sales and business development on a global platform with the ability to work with teams across different countries, cultures, regulatory regimes and healthcare sectors
- Understanding of and expertise in how to balance consumer and corporate lenses, developing strategies to align
- Experience working in the Lloyd’s regulatory environment with the ability to interact with senior stakeholders across partners, regulators, healthcare businesses and associations/bodies
- Possess the sales calibre and emotional intelligence to interface with C suite decision makers in the healthcare environment
- CII qualification, Professional sales qualifications whilst not essential is desirable
- Experience partnering with healthcare organisations and professionals would be highly advantageous
- Experience in business performance measures in general insurance companies, whilst not essential is desirable
- Ability to work remotely, independently but be part of a team and aligned to corporate processes
About the Company
This is an exciting role for someone that has an entrepreneurial spirit and a passion to drive great outcomes. This is a long-term investment for MPS that is well funded and as such there is vast potential career trajectory should the appointed individual deliver in this role, from further evolution of MPS’ presence at Lloyd’s through to opportunities within the wider MPS business.
Medical Protection Society