Our Corporate Affairs department are looking to recruit a Press Officer (12 month maternity cover). Based in our office in The Shard, the Press Officer will work with the Media Relations Manager in handling media relations for MPS and provide media support and advice to members in key markets.
The role provides an excellent opportunity to work on a topical area and in a changing environment and within an international organisation with members in the UK, Ireland, South Africa and Asia.
- Assist members with media handling and press issues, including writing press statements, working with medicolegal experts and lawyers, and monitoring/addressing negative coverage
- Identify newsworthy stories and generate ideas for national, trade and broadcast press in key markets
- Write and distribute press releases and other written material on issues relevant to MPS, to ensure we are acknowledged as experts and a leading voice on medicolegal issues
- Manage reactive press enquiries from national, trade and broadcast reporters in the UK and internationally, and advise senior colleagues on approach
- Develop and manage high impact media campaigns including message development, identifying target media, drafting written material, spokesperson briefings, social media and internal engagement
- Co-ordinate and facilitate the placement of high-quality articles and features in the medical press; including pitching ideas, writing and reviewing copy
- Establish close working relationships with the medical trade press and national health correspondents.
The Ideal Candidate
- Proven experience in a busy communications department, preferably within a press office
- Ability to produce high quality press releases and a range of other written material for a variety of audiences
- Ability to respond quickly to press enquiries and work with internal experts to provide a response within a tight deadline, as well as run proactive campaigns
- Experience in developing and managing high impact, integrated media campaigns – including creating media plans, drafting materials, spokespeople briefings and liaising with press
- Ability to edit copy, proof read accurately and provide constructive feedback, often on technical and complex material
- London weighting
- 12% company pension contribution (3% from the individual)
- Annual bonus scheme up to 10% (for permanent roles)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society