Policy and Public Affairs Officer
We are looking to recruit a Policy and Public Affairs Officer. Based in our office in The Shard, the role will work with the Policy and Public Affairs Manager and colleagues across the organisation in order to ensure that MPS influences the public policy debate and has good relationships with key stakeholders.
The role provides an exciting opportunity to work on a range of topical issues, in a changing environment and within an international organisation with members around the world, including in the UK, Ireland, South Africa and Asia.
- Monitor, identify and lead on responding to public policy challenges/opportunities for MPS
- Working with both the Policy & Affairs Manager and the International Stakeholder Engagement Manager, fully support stakeholder engagement globally, while leading on specific stakeholder relationships as agreed
- Lead on crafting a range of communications for senior stakeholders, in collaboration with the Executive team and other senior colleagues
- Working with colleagues across the organisation to maximise the impact of our policy and public affairs work and to ensure that the output of the team informs, and is informed by, communications with our wider audience groups.
- Produce high-quality, bespoke briefings on a range of topics including for colleagues attending meetings with stakeholders
- In-line with the departmental strategy, lead on devising and implementing policy projects to ensure that MPS is seen as a thought-leader
The Ideal Candidate
- Educated to undergraduate level or able to show career experience at a relevant level
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Ability to write persuasively for a variety of audiences
- A self-starter – with the ability to work independently but in unison with a team
- Adapting to change; an ability to find new ways of working
- Demonstratable track record of successfully engaging with decision makers and key influencers
- A history of responding to government consultations; reviews/inquires, and influencing legislation
- Proven experience of delivering projects from their inception to evaluation
- Well versed in confidently briefing senior colleagues; both orally and in writing
- Proven track record of successfully working to raise an organisation’s profile
- London weighting
- 12% company pension contribution (3% from the individual)
- Annual bonus scheme up to 10% (for permanent roles)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society