An exciting opportunity has arisen with the Medical Protection Society (MPS) for a Doctor seeking a career in the medicolegal sector.
We are recruiting for a number of Medicolegal Consultants (MLCs) to join our team. As an MLC you will work closely with your colleagues across the wider department in order to provide support to members. MLCs are responsible for providing medicolegal advisory services but are also required to focus on strengthening the relationship with our members, the promotion of MPS and the interests of our members and the wider profession by means of education, teaching and involvement with external stakeholders and events.
The MLC role is a position with significant responsibility and requires a dynamic individual who is able to manage a busy, varied and challenging workload. Advanced communication skills are critical as you will be required to assess and respond to complex queries, supervise colleagues and lead a medicolegal defence team.
- Advising members by telephone and in correspondence on a wide variety of medicolegal and ethical issues affecting their professional practice. This can include, but is not limited to: disciplinary, inquests, regulatory investigations, criminal processes, complaints or a combination of one or more of these.
- Investigating and evaluating cases affecting members where there may be a wide spectrum of potential risks to members’ professional standing. Making regular case-handling decisions, such as when to instruct Legal Advisers, taking into account the requirements of the individual case and member, in an effective and efficient manner.
- To work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team and to contribute to achieving team targets; to ensure cases are handled effectively and efficiently by making good use of the resources available within the team by showing leadership and support to other members of the team, and the organisation as a whole.
- Attending meetings as part of the handling of individual cases, supporting and counselling members, and working collaboratively with Legal Advisers.
- Representing members’ interests at an individual or business-wide level in a variety of settings.
- The role is dynamic with opportunities to work with a wide range of areas of the business offering medicolegal expertise. This will likely include activities such as delivering education via webinar, lectures or workshops, and working with our communications team in preparing articles or case reports for internal publication or in the trade / national media.
The Ideal Candidate
Ideally you will be a Doctor with an interest in medical law and ethics. You're someone passionate about supporting and protecting Doctors and who is looking for a new career in a dynamic, fast paced sector working for a mutual organisation.
- The job holder is required to have both graduate and, ideally, post graduate medical degrees and/or diplomas and to be fully registered (and where appropriate) licensed with a recognised regulator (e.g. GMC, HPCSA).
- Post graduate experience in clinical medicine.
- A clear understanding of the legal and ethical principles that apply in relation to medical practice in the United Kingdom.
- A degree in Medical/Healthcare Ethics and Law is desirable, but not essential.
- Demonstrable presentation, stakeholder management and coaching skills.
- A good level of confidence in IT/digital tech is needed as much of our work is online. You'll be comfortable adapting to new ways of working and the processes that come with working in a corporate organisation.
This is a really rewarding role where each day is different and you have the ability to make a huge impact in our members' lives.
- 15% pension contribution (MPS pay in 12% you pay in 3%)
- Annual bonus scheme up to 15%
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Option to buy and sell holiday
- A host of wellbeing initiatives and support
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society