The in house legal team provide legal advice and support to members of MPS on cases, primarily in relation to Healthcare Regulatory cases (GMC and GDC) and Inquest cases, and will also provide general legal advice from time to time.
Legal Assistants are an integral part of the team with several key functions, which help to keep cases moving in the right direction. A successful Assistant will feel empowered to take proactive steps in a case and will recognise when to refer an issue for guidance.
- Reviewing all incoming communications on assigned caseloads
- Arranging case conferences
- Attending and taking notes at proofing meetings, conferences and hearings
- Taking and drafting witness statements
- Obtaining testimonials
- Instructing experts and counsel
- Legal research
- Producing case chronologies and schedules of evidence
- Producing disclosure and hearing bundles, with admin support
- Corresponding with members and other case parties
- Updating Case Plans
The Ideal Candidate
We are particularly keen to see applications from candidates with legal experience from a medical/dental regulatory environment, but will also accept applications from candidates with experience of working in clinical negligence or high value/complex/catastrophic injury.
Due to the complex nature of this work you will be required to demonstrate strong organisational skills and attention to detail along with a dedication to working in a cohesive and efficient team.
- 12% company pension contribution (3% from the individual)
- Annual bonus scheme up to 15% (for permanent roles)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society