Head of Underwriting
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world.
As the worlds leading Medical Defence Organisation (MDO) we are at the forefront of managing the financial risk of MPS and its members worldwide. The purpose of the role is to provide an excellent Underwriting service for members that is trusted, valued and provides fair treatment and outcomes to all.
This is a varied and interesting role that is newly created to meet the evolving demands of MPS as we see a landscape that is fast changing presenting opportunity and challenge ahead. MPS have become the first MDO to develop our Insurance offering via the Lloyds of London Market looking to serve our corporate members which will present new challenges and opportunities to the Underwriting function. We continue our own journey responding to the ever changing needs of our member population globally which requires a pragmatic and strategic approach to underwriting services and you must be able to see the big picture whilst protecting the needs of our members.
The main responsibility is to provide leadership across Commercial Services and in particular Underwriting to deliver on the overall corporate strategy, strategic priorities, business performance, and leadership of teams that reinforces the desired culture and delivery of the strategic priorities.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of Commercial Services strategy and plan to time, cost and quality
- Lead Underwriting to drive service standards and deliver on the required KPI’s and financial targets.
- Work with Policy Leads to develop underwriting philosophy, strategy, risk appetite, technical wordings, and drive improvement opportunities in the likes of wordings, processes, pricing or strategy.
- For activities supporting Underwriting for Insurance, lead the team to comply with the required processes, SLA’s and where applicable, regulatory standards.
More information on the responsibilities and accountabilities of this role can be found on the attached role profile.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be an experienced underwriter, ideally with ACII/FCII qualifications. We are looking for demonstrable experience of senior stakeholder management, operational leadership, change/project management experience and exposure to training and competence schemes – building capability in a regulated environment.
We are especially interested in candidates who can demonstrate some/all of the following:
- Market and Product development experience
- Actuarial pricing knowledge, or experience of working with actuaries
- Lloyd's of London experience
- Experience of international underwriting
- Experience of writing general liability business, preferentially medical malpractice
Due to the nature of this role this is a highly visible position working with the Exec and as such represents a real opportunity for an experienced professional to enhance our current practices and and grow the position into a key strategic leader within the business.
- Car allowance
- 12% company pension contribution (3% from the individual)
- Annual bonus scheme (for permanent roles)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 30 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
About the Company
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society