Head of Underwriting and Pricing (International)
We are excited to introduce a new role into the Underwriting, Pricing, and Insurance division at MPS. We are looking for someone with sound knowledge of underwriting and pricing, with an acute commercial focus to lead the International team in the position of Head of Underwriting and Pricing (International).
It’s a fantastic time to join our Underwriting and Pricing team at MPS as we look to continue to grow our membership base and income in our target markets. We are in the process of creating multifunctional teams with a real focus on owning and delivering sustainable growth in the markets in which we operate, and this role will be a key part of enabling this growth.
As underwriters we blend deep technical knowledge with commercial understanding to produce member-centric solutions around the world. You will have access to unrivalled clinical negligence data and technologies to develop your strategy to grow membership in the countries in which we operate.
We are rapidly evolving our processes to automate and digitise our offerings and provide better services to members around the world. You would join as at a point of change at which your input can help shape product, pricing and underwriting at MPS.
As the Head of Underwriting and Pricing (International), you will lead the delivery of underwriting, products, data science and pricing for MPS’s International based discretionary members. You will be accountable for portfolio management of these members to deliver MPS’s target loss ratios and subscription income whilst maintaining desired service levels and meeting member needs, now and in the future.
- In partnership with the senior leadership team, develop and deliver a clear strategy for the Underwriting, Pricing & Insurance division.
- Lead the development of products to meet the needs of healthcare professionals in International markets and ensure existing product portfolio is fit for purpose.
- Establish a culture and capability in Lean / continuous improvement to drive operational efficiency and great member experiences and outcomes.
- Encourage product and proposition innovation, development and lifecycle management ensuring products perform as designed, remain current and relevant for members and are affordable and competitive in the market.
- Work with the BD&E leaders to ensure MPS has tailored segment propositions that meet our International member needs (portfolio of product, services, price) informed by insight and articulated through compelling value propositions.
- Own the overall loss ratio performance for all International product lines, delivering strategies to maintain competitive advantages and optimum commercial performance.
- Provide inspirational leadership to the Underwriting & Pricing international team to ensure the training, competence, performance, and engagement of all colleagues who are focussed on delivering for members, have clarity on their accountabilities.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience managing a portfolio of members/policies within personal or commercial lines insurance and hold expert knowledge of general insurance products, pricing, and underwriting practices.
Experienced in delivering pricing reviews for significant lines of general insurance business, you are an advocate for the development of analytical approaches and the adoption of new techniques for pricing.
You are someone who will challenge the status quo and be confident suggesting new ideas; seeing these through to completion using your project management skills to effectively implement change at both an operational and strategic level.
As this is an international leadership position, you recognise and celebrate the diversity of the colleagues you lead, showing a clear passion for people and will be adept at motivating an operational team to deliver.
Diversity and Inclusion
We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, and we encourage you to apply even if you feel you do not match 100% of the technical requirements. We celebrate diversity, promote inclusivity and strive to create a work environment which ensures everyone can be heard.
What’s important to MPS is that our people live our values of Member First, Ambitious, Determined and Empowered.
If you have any questions about any advertised role and how we can support you, please contact our Recruitment Team.
- Hybrid working in our Leeds or London office
- Generous matched pension scheme
- Annual bonus scheme - up to 22%
- Car allowance £2,335
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 30 days annual leave (plus flexible bank holidays) and the option to buy or sell up to 5 days
- 6x salary death in service
- Paid volunteering day
- A personal GP service enabling you to get a video consultation with an NHS-registered private GP
- A range of shopping discounts, exclusive codes and cashback deals on purchases for a wide range of retailers
- Financial wellbeing support, expert guides, tips and tools to help you manage your money better and improve your financial wellbeing
- Wellbeing support, free specialist counselling, advice and signposting support through our Employee Assistance Programme and Mental Health First Aider network. Anytime access to a Wellbeing hub and a free Wellbeing App
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of almost 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
Our philosophy is to support safe practice in medicine and dentistry by helping to avert problems in the first place. We also actively campaign for regulatory and legal reforms that benefit members and the wider healthcare professions. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
Medical Protection Society