Executive Director – Member Protection and Support
This is an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to become an integral member of MPS’ Executive Team as it enters an exciting new stage in the firm’s strategic development. The Executive Director for Member Protection and Support will take a member-centric yet commercial approach to claims and cases management through strong governance and oversight of settlement and defence strategies.
This is a critical leadership role which requires an individual who has the passion to drive forward great member and membership-fund outcomes. Using his/her broad strategic and technical experience and leadership skills, the successful candidate will be instrumental in leading the division, and wider MPS, through a period of significant transformation and change. This role has the potential for succession planning to the CEO role.
The Member Protection and Support Division of MPS is at the forefront of protecting the careers, reputation and financial risk of members worldwide.
The successful candidate will serve as an Executive Director within the business. Although not a Board Member, he/she will be expected to attend all Board meetings and is likely to attend the following Board Committees:
Asset and Liability Committee
Audit and Risk Committee
Management and Oversight Committee
The purpose of this role is to provide excellent service for members which delivers fair treatment and optimal outcomes. This will be achieved by optimising the capabilities of the division, ensuring an efficient and effective operation with experts contributing where they truly add value.
The role will report into Simon Kayll, Group CEO, and will ideally be based in Leeds, however for the right candidate it could be London-based, although regular travel to Leeds would be required.
- Lead the Claims, Cases and Advisory services to deliver the best outcome and experience for all members, regardless of jurisdiction, through the provision of robust member support and defence.
- Provide leadership across MPS to develop and deliver on the overall corporate strategy, business performance, leadership of teams that reinforces the desired culture and delivery of strategic priorities.
- Develop and deliver the Member Protection and Support Divisional strategy, ensuring that regulated activities comply with the necessary regulatory standards for operating in Lloyd’s in the UK and abroad, and policy and standards set by the Council.
- Direct the management of the Member Protection and Support Division to ensure fair treatment and outcomes for members. Ensure compliance in all internal aspects of claims management and handling in accordance with associated policies and standards set out by the Council and its committees and delegated authorities
- Lead the Claims, Cases and Advisory services to deliver against the damages, defence and claimant cost targets, whilst ensuring long-term value-creation across all market segments and excellent service to members.
- Lead the division in the setting and delivery of operational budgets to create an efficient operating model which minimises cost and maximises contribution to financial sustainability without compromising member experience.
- Ensure appropriate business processes and controls are in place to manage the Division within risk appetite; comply with policies and regulatory requirements (as applicable)
- Support the General Counsel in determining the rules of member entitlement to membership and services. Lead on the consistent and fair exercise of discretion for Cases and Advisory services and the quality and professional (medical, dental and legal) services provided to members.
- Develop and deliver an efficient and effective member administration strategy, ensuring MPS worldwide controls the member experience and core messaging in accordance with the product and service propositions defined for each market and member segment.
- Oversee systems for monitoring and reporting accurate and timely Claims, Cases and Advisory services statistics, to provide insight for governance bodies such as reserving, underwriting and reinsurance.
- Through continued best practice and management, ensure that MPS is prepared for regulation, including any new regulation that may arise through Lloyd’s.
- Create an environment where our medical and dental professionals, along with in-house legal experts, contribute as required to the MPS education offering, product and proposition development, policy development, communications and events, underwriting risk management and corporate sales pitches – sharing market insight and knowledge for the benefit of members.
- Oversee the training, competence, performance and engagement of all employees who are focussed on delivering for members, ensuring they have clarity on their accountabilities and comply with all governance, policy standards and processes.
- Build a strong pipeline of talent and succession across the Division for the benefit of MPS which will mitigate workforce planning risks and maximises the performance and potential of employees.
- Create an environment where all colleagues recognise the importance of risk identification and management.
The Ideal Candidate
An experienced Director and an inspirational leader who is both focused and understands transformational change. He/she will be required to deliver cultural change in readiness for an insurance regulated future and driving for operational efficiencies on a global scale. He/she will bring resilience, tenacity and high levels of emotional intelligence to the role.
- Educated to a degree standard or equivalent
- Practising solicitor, qualified member of CILEX or barrister with relevant experience
- Has relevant experience of regulation in the jurisdictions in which we operate and is capable of liaising with governmental bodies where necessary
- Ideally CII qualified
- Ideally, has market knowledge and awareness of up-to-date trends of medical malpractice
- Ideally holds a medical or dental qualification.
- High levels of commercial acumen
- Ability to diversify and refine strategy on all levels
- Inspirational and motivational leadership skills
- Strong stakeholder management skills
- Member / Customer service programmes
- Providing strong leadership of a large service orientated operation – providing coaching and mentoring to maximise team and individual performance
- Claims experience; ideally on a global platform in clinical negligence and within Lloyd’s
- Transformational leadership in a progressive claims environment
- Third party management – legal panels, counsel and expert witnesses
- Ideally have worked for a mutual or not-for-profit organisation
- Delivering operational and service excellence
Other Personal Attributes:
- High energy and ambition for business, division and self
- A strong leader with strong integrity and determination to get results
- An ability to strike a balance between high integrity and the ethical issues of the sector, whilst staying commercially minded
- Humility – the ability to listen, to understand, and the incisiveness to cut through noise and resistance to focus on the real concerns that need to be addressed
- People orientated
- Empathy, adaptability, tenacity and resilience
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2019 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society