The Data Scientist will be responsible for developing, maintaining, iterating and running data science models, using big data and AI/ML techniques, to enhance MPS’s ability to price competitively, underwrite effectively, acquire and retain members efficiently and design and develop products that meet and exceed the needs of members.
- Extract, mine and understand MPS’s data by exploring further areas by which MPS can price as well as looking at further measures, such as lapse rates, lifetime value and contribution.
- Add additional insights which may inform the pricing and reserving work by using advanced statistical multivariate techniques where appropriate.
- Work with the MI and Data Analysts to ‘productionise’ existing and future models to ensure that there is a strict model governance, change process as well as agility to make any adjustments
- Monitor the performance of existing models and ‘iterate’, where required, by considering new data and new modelling techniques. Assist the MI and Data Analysts with the maintenance and development of Product & Pricing’s databases and subsidiary analytical systems, determining the analytical requirements for enhancements to monitoring suites
- ’Speculate’ on what could be relevant and useful external datasets to be added to Product & Pricing’s databases and make sure that data quality is of the highest standard, or when not, score the credibility of the data with a view to revisiting or implementing cleansing programmes.
- Recommend and acquire valuable external data by liaison with external parties or by using web-scraping techniques.
- Assist with projects as identified by the Pricing Consultant and agreed by the Head of Product and Pricing making sure projects proceed as planned, answering any queries relating to progress and attending project meetings.
- Be seen as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and offer coaching and support to the wider team. Work with the other seniors to ensure key tasks and projects are adequately resourced for and tasks are completed on time
- Drive change by influencing decisions using data science models to support one of MPS’s strategic pillars, Data
- Work closely with all areas of the business to understand problems and pro-actively identify opportunities where data science techniques can be utilised to enhance decisions and provide real business benefit.
- Undertake other duties and tasks that from time to time may be allocated to the role holder that are appropriate to the level or role.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful in this role, you should have a Numerical First degree and (Maths, Statistical or Data Science).
- Proficient in SQL ( comfortable with large data sets circa 5m rows)
- Proficient in the use of Stored Procedures
- Proficient in programming languages R or Python (or both)
- Comfortable with statistical modelling (GLM , Propensity Modelling)
- 12% company pension contribution (3% from the individual)
- Annual bonus scheme up to 15%
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of almost 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
Our philosophy is to support safe practice in medicine and dentistry by helping to avert problems in the first place. We also actively campaign for regulatory and legal reforms that benefit members and the wider healthcare professions. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society