Data Protection Officer
Are you an experienced data protection professional looking for your next exciting career opportunity? Look no further as MPS are seeking a Data Protection Officer to lead on global GDPR compliance and act as the subject matter expert in all matters relating to data protection. Ideally the DPO will be located in commuting distance to the Leeds office (hybrid working) but we are open to candidates who are located near our London office as well.
As a medical defence organisation, we have access to highly personal and confidential information, and the management of this data is critical to ensuring continued stakeholder and member confidence. The Data Protection Officer will be responsible for ensuring international compliance with GDPR in every area of MPS, building good governance systems, and controls to continuously maintain and manage protected data.
We are looking for someone with the technical knowledge to advise Council, Boards, Executive Committees, and colleagues on GDPR matters – providing great exposure at both executive and senior management level. You will engage with data protection champions to operationalise controls and promote data protection awareness across MPS.
This is a unique opportunity for an individual with lots of great experience to both lead the function while delivering on some of the day-to-day operational activities. So, do you have the gravitas to lead and the experience to deliver? If so, we want to hear from you!
- Define, set and oversee the delivery of the MPS data protection strategy, the Group Data Protection Policy, Data Protection Control Framework and all supporting standards to ensure compliance with all requirements under GDPR and other data protection laws in all jurisdistictions, systems and process, including third party relationships.
- As the legal and regulatory landscape changes, keep abreast of evolving legislation and best practice and lead on the development, implementation and governance of new policies and procedures
- Provide independent and expert advice to the Executive, leaders and colleagues on all applicable data protection obligations and on how these responsibilities must be discharged to ensure compliance
- Act as first point of contact with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and other equivalent data protection offices in relevant jurisdictions
- Oversee investigations into data breaches and monitor any remedial actions to ensure future breaches are avoided and business risks mitigated
- Act as a contact point for request from individuals regarding the processing of their personal data and the exercise of their rights
- Build a strong succession of Data Protection Champions / Ambassadors providing opportunities for talented colleagues to develop and build data protection expertise
- Ensure appropriate governance, business processes and controls are in place to manage GDPR handling within risk appetite; comply with policies and regulatory requirements (as applicable)
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, inclusive and forward-thinking, helping us protect our data amidst an ever-changing regulatory landscape.
Previous experience in a similar data protection role is essential and experience as a data protection practitioner in the Lloyd’s of London market would be advantageous.
You will possess a strong understanding of UK GDPR, PECR and European GDPR to enable you to navigate the complexities of the regulations.
You are confident in engaging, challenging and influencing at all levels and, in this role, you will be an integral part of change. The ideal candidate will possess the ability to lead and build capability. You will be responsible for fostering and embedding a strong risk culture across MPS.
As the Data Protection Officer, you will need to be an excellent communicator, being able to adapt your communication style to suit audiences of varying seniority, business areas, and locations.
We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, and we encourage you to apply even if you feel you do not match 100% of the technical requirements. We celebrate diversity, promote inclusivity and strive to create a work environment which ensures everyone can be heard.
- 11% pension contributions (8% from MPS / 3% from you)
- Annual bonus scheme - up to 22%
- Car Allowance £4,670
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 30 days annual leave, plus 8 flexible bank holidays
- Option to buy or sell up to 5 days holiday
- 6x salary death in service
- Paid volunteering day
- A personal GP service enabling you to get a video consultation with an NHS-registered private GP
- A range of shopping discounts
- Financial wellbeing support
- Wellbeing support
About the Company
The Medical Protection Society Ltd (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for Doctors, Dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of almost 300,000 members around the world.
We are a not-for-profit organisation, meaning our members’ subscriptions are either invested into bettering the organisation, our employees and our products, or kept safe should our members require support for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
Our philosophy is to support safe practice in medicine and dentistry by helping to avert problems in the first place. We also actively campaign for regulatory and legal reforms that benefit members and the wider healthcare professions.
To do this, we need colleagues who are trusted and supported to deliver their best work, whether that be through leadership development, fully-funded training courses or peer-to-peer support. We want colleagues to feel empowered to deliver positive change, display ambition to push themselves and be determined when faced with a challenge, whilst ensuring our member’s best interests are at the core.
Medical Protection Society