The purpose of this role is to provide costs negotiation following payment of damages. We have a strong team of experienced Costs experts who work with our Claims teams to reduce the overall cost of claims by carrying out costs analysis and taking a strategic approach to costs resolution. The successful candidate will work as part of a collaborative, co-located team that inclues in-house lawyers, clinicians, medicolegal experts and support colleagues. The claims concerned will be largely UK claims against MPS members but may also include claims in other jurisdictions against MPS members.
- Preparation of Bills of Cost including Precedent Q, Points of Dispute and Points of Reply for fast track and multi track claims
- Advising on and making appropriate offers to settle costs, then negotiating through the process.
- Liaising with the wider legal division to ensure full information is obtained in order to deal with costs effectively
- Manage Part 7 and Part 8 proceedings
- Draft form H
- Provide advice to internal Litigation Solicitors on areas to dispute in Claimant Form H
- Attend CCMCs where appropriate to deal with costs budgeting
- Resolve each case in a way that serves the member’s interests
- Review of external legal service and other providers bills of cost as required to ensure MPS receives value for money, and costs are charged appropriately
- Liaise and negotiate with the other side in relation to potential costs budgets
- Attendance at detailed assessment hearings as required
The Ideal Candidate
- A background in Clinical Negligence is preferred
- Previous costs experience, ideally defendant but claimant also considered
- Experience of Costs budgeting would be an advantage
- Multi-track negotiation (£75k - £200k) would also be beneficial
- Ability to pick up complex work and high value bills.
- Experience of solicitor/client billing and legal costs within other jurisdictions would be advantageous
- 12% company pension contribution (3% from the individual)
- Annual bonus scheme up to 10% (for permanent roles)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society