We have a fantastic opportunity for an ambitious Underwriter, with experience working in the Lloyd’s ecosystem, to join MPS as a Medical Malpractice Class Underwriter.
The Medical Malpractice Class Underwriter will lead on all aspects of underwriting Corporate Insurance business for MPS’s Syndicate 1892.
Linked heavily to MPS’ growth strategy and Syndicate plan, the Class Underwriter will play a pivotal role in driving the profitable expansion of the Corporate Insurance business by helping secure new clients, building on MPS’s relationships across the Healthcare professions and broadening our product offering as Corporate Insurance becomes an ever-prominent part of our world.
In return we can offer you the opportunity to:
- Do something good – We are the world’s leading Medical Defence Organisation (MDO), providing protection for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals as well as world class risk prevention; by joining our team you can take the lead on making a real difference for our members.
- Join a dynamic team – We have real experts in the team including medical, dental and commercial professionals who are eager to work collaboratively to achieve the overall strategy of the Underwriting, Pricing and Insurance division.
- Work on exciting projects – At MPS we are ambitious, we are currently looking to broaden our product offering and expand our presence within the UK healthcare sector and globally; the Medical Malpractice Class Underwriter will play a pivotal role in bringing these ambitions to life.
- Participate in the Lloyd’s environment – MPS’s Syndicate 1892 commenced underwriting on 1 January 2022, offering an innovative insurance solution to corporate healthcare providers and other independent healthcare organisations. MPS offers its medical malpractice insurance for corporate providers under its Healthcare Protection brand.
- Progress – This is a highly visible position working with the Executive Director of Underwriting, Pricing and Insurance and presents a real opportunity for an experienced professional to enhance our current practices and offerings. Initially working with the Chief Underwriting Officer, accountability as Active Underwriter for the Syndicate is intended to transition to this role, subject to satisfactory performance and capability as well as the necessary approvals.
- Help develop and service new relationships in line with the distribution plan to win new business for the Syndicate.
- Research markets to develop expertise and contribute to projects to further develop MPS’s insurance product offering
- Work with pricing team to price individual risks and continuously improve rating process and models
- Work with discretionary membership underwriting team to identify opportunities to provide insurance to existing discretionary members and prospects as an additional offering
- Leverage existing insurance relationships to drive growth of individual and group discretionary memberships where no insurance offering is available.
- Support the stakeholder management of third parties including Asta managing agency and the Corporation of Lloyd’s
Diversity and Inclusion
We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, and we encourage you to apply even if you feel you do not match 100% of the technical requirements. We celebrate diversity, promote inclusivity and strive to create a work environment which ensures everyone can be heard.
What’s important to MPS is that our people live our values of Member First, Ambitious, Determined and Empowered.
If you have any questions about any advertised role and how we can support you, please contact our Recruitment Team.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have significant knowledge of underwriting at Lloyd’s, ideally gained within the international healthcare/medical malpractice sector, along with a robust awareness of global emerging healthcare and market trends.
Displaying a passion for trading and an ability to develop relationships, you will be keen to write UK and International Corporate Medical Malpractice business, negotiating optimal outcomes for MPS and expanding our portfolio.
You are a skilled technical underwriter with experience defining underwriting strategy as well as writing and executing business plans.
With a strong analytical aptitude, you can develop and utilise MI to support the assessment of risk, exposure and performance.
- Hybrid working in our London or Leeds office
- Car allowance of £2,335
- Generous matched pension scheme
- Annual bonus scheme up to 22%
- Private Medical Insurance - family cover
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 30 days annual leave (plus flexible bank holidays) and the option to buy or sell up to 5 days
- 6x salary death in service
- A personal GP service enabling you to get a video consultation with an NHS-registered private GP
- Employee Assistance Programme
- A range of shopping discounts
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of almost 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
Our philosophy is to support safe practice in medicine and dentistry by helping to avert problems in the first place. We also actively campaign for regulatory and legal reforms that benefit members and the wider healthcare professions. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.