The Claims Manager role sits within our Claims Delivery department and the purpose the this role is to directly manage the conduct of pre litigation UK claim files up to an individual value of £750,000 damages as determined by our Claims Assessment team. The Claims Manager will work as part of a collaborative, co-located team including in-house doctors, litigation solicitors, quantum and costs advisors, claims assistants and support staff.
The Claims Manager will be responsible for undertaking all necessary investigation (in accordance with the Clinical Disputes Protocol) up to the point of pre action resolution or the service of legal proceedings.
The responsibilities of this role are:
- Directly managing a pre action caseload of claims individually worth up to £750,000 damages through to resolution or the service of proceedings.
- Assessing the facts, law, apportionment issues, quantum and likely costs in order to devise and implement a case management and investigative strategy proportionate to the claim.
- Ensuring accurate claims estimates are set and kept up to date.
- Giving direction and input to to Claims Assistants when required.
- Resolution of any apportionment issues
- Obtaining additional documentary and factual evidence as required from the member(s) and other witnesses
- Commissioning expert reports as required
- Analysing quantum
- Drafting and serving the Letter of Response
- Proactively initiating and engaging in settlement negotiations where appropriate
- The use of ADR/mediation where indicated
- Provide instructions to internal MPS litigation solicitors to take over conduct of the file when required
- Where external litigation solicitors (MPS Panel) are appointed, continuing to provide ongoing MPS input, strategic direction and instructions through to resolution
The Ideal Candidate
The right candidate will have experience in handling medical or dental negligence claims in either the Insurance or Legal world. However, what really is important is that we want you to be as dedicated and passionate about representing our Members as we are. We need more great people to join our existing team who put our Members at the heart of everything we do.
Medical Protection is an international organisation which handles every type of medical and dental negligence claim and we can offer you a mix of some of the most stimulating work you will encounter in your career. We want to develop you and we will work with you take your career to another level. If you are as ambitious and determined as we are and you want to be inspired by and empowered in your work, then you are the right person to work with us.
- Car allowance of £4670
- 12% company pension contribution (3% from the individual)
- Annual bonus scheme up to 15%
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 30 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
We are an evolving and dynamic organisation with a very bright future and if you want to work in a team of high performing medical and dental negligence professionals, then we will reward you with excellent career opportunities accompanied by an industry leading salary and reward package including, amongst other things, a car allowance and a very generous pension contribution.
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society