Our claims handing team is looking for an experienced claims assistant to join the team on a 12 month fixed term basis.
The responsibilities of this role are:
- To triage incoming post on handler dashboards to proactively identify cases that need immediate attention or a prioritised response (e.g. proceedings, other case types etc.) and escalate these to the appropriate team member for action; and, where applicable, to provide support on transition of a case from Claims Manager to Litigation Solicitor as required.
- Liaise with members, external panel and other third parties to obtain information at the outset of a new matter; carry out conflict checks with panel firms; and prepare standard letters for the instruction of panel, confirming assistance to members and to comply with applicable Pre-action Protocols/statutory requirements.
- Prepare attendance notes following meetings and video conferences with members and stakeholders and where applicable, attend court.
- Review medical records to ensure full disclosure and prepare chronologies of records, case summaries, case reviews in accordance with applicable process/guidance/terms and conditions.
- Manage a partial case load of claims and pre-claims under supervision.
- Liaising with plaintiff/claimant firms and litigants in person
- Working closely with Litigation Solicitors or external panel, reviewing advice and providing instructions for the investigation of, and strategy for, each case and keeping members advised/up to date
- Carrying out clinical/legal reviews with internal clinical colleagues
- Providing authority to settle/defend claims and costs
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate would have experience of working in a Clinical Negligence or Personal injury environment, either handling a caseload of files or supporting lawyers in handling files. But we are open to considering any candidates with any experience of law with a medical or dental element to it.
We are looking for candidates with strong accuracy and attention to detail, and the role also requires the ability to investigate and analyse information containing both legal and medical/dental terminology.
- 15% company pension contribution (including 3% from the individual)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society