The Claims Assistant is responsible for supporting our Claims managers (Clinical negligence lawyers) handle legal claims on behalf of our members. In this role you will provide day to day professional support to the Claims Managers, and depending on the pathway you work in you may manage a partial claims case load, carrying out liability investigations to resolve claims (through repudiation or settlement) as early and efficiently as possible.
The responsibilities of this role are:
- To triage incoming tasks on handler dashboards and escalate these to the appropriate team member for action
- To provide support on transition of a case from Claims Manager to Litigation Solicitor as required.
- Liaise with members, external panel and other third parties to obtain information at the outset of a new matter; carry out conflict checks with panel firms; and prepare standard letters for the instruction of panel, confirming assistance to members and to comply with applicable Pre-action protocols and statutory requirements.
- Prepare attendance notes following meetings and video conferences with members and stakeholders and where applicable, attend court.
- Review medical records to ensure full disclosure and prepare chronologies of records, case summaries, case reviews in accordance with applicable process/guidance/terms and conditions.
- Manage a partial case load of claims and pre-claims under supervision.
- Liaising with plaintiff/claimant firms and litigants in person
- Carrying out clinical/legal reviews with internal clinical colleagues
- Providing authority to settle/defend claims and costs
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience of working at paralegal level within a claims or legal environment, ideally dealing with clinical negligence, personal injury or regulatory matters. We are looking for candidates with strong accuracy and attention to detail, and the role also requires the ability to investigate and analyse information containing both legal and medical/dental terminology.
Full details can be seen on the attached role profile.
- 12% company pension contribution (3% from the individual)
- Annual bonus scheme up to 10% (for permanent roles)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the worlds leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to investin our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society