This Claims Assistant role sits within our Claims Policy and Technical department. This vacancy is working within one of our International pathways that handles legal claims on behalf of our members in South Africa. In this role you will provide day to day professional support to the Claims Managers whilst also managing a partial claims case load.
The responsibilities of this role are:
- To triage incoming post on handler dashboards to proactively identify cases that need immediate attention or a prioritised response (e.g. proceedings, other case types etc.) and escalate these to the appropriate team member for action.
- Liaise with members, external panel and other third parties to obtain information at the outset of a new matter; carry out conflict checks with panel firms; and prepare standard letters for the instruction of panel, confirming assistance to members and to comply with applicable protocols/statutory requirements.
- Prepare attendance notes following meetings and video conferences with members and stakeholders.
- Review medical records to ensure full disclosure and prepare chronologies of records, case summaries, case reviews in accordance with applicable process/guidance/terms and conditions.
- Manage a partial case load of claims and pre-claims under supervision.
- Working closely with Solicitors and external panel, reviewing advice and providing instructions for the investigation of, and strategy for, each case and keeping members advised/up to date
- Carrying out clinical/legal reviews with internal clinical colleagues
- Providing authority to settle/defend claims and costs
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience of working within a claims or legal environment, ideally dealing with clinical negligence, personal injury or regulatory matters. We are looking for candidates with strong accuracy and attention to detail, and the role also requires the ability to investigate and analyse information containing both legal and medical/dental terminology. You will be working to strict deadlines and juggling varying tasks so good time management is a must.
- 12% company pension contribution (3% from the individual)
- Annual bonus scheme up to 10% (for permanent roles)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Care Cash Plan
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society