Case Manager - Medical
We are looking to recruit Medical Case Managers based at our office in Wellington. Our Case Managers are responsible for managing the initial contact for all member queries, either by handling the request personally or assessing, understanding and triaging the request to a specialist. This will include whether a member is entitled to MPS assistance. You will manage your own caseload of complaints, advice, report and reimbursement cases and be responsible for selecting and explaining the best solutions to solve any member query, ensuring a world class advisory service to members at all times.
- Advising members by telephone or in correspondence about a wide variety of medico or dentolegal issues affecting their professional practice; making case handling decisions, seeking clinical input where required or if appropriate, escalating to an MLA or DLC.
- Recording and assessing new requests for assistance from members.
- Interpretation of policy and benefits of membership in relation to individual cases within the department to decide whether MPS assistance is in scope and should be granted.
- Assisting and advising members how to formulate Complaint responses in order to achieve the best outcome for the member where there may have been a wide spectrum of potential risks to their professional standing.
- Advising members on the structure and content of reports to be submitted to by a variety of official bodies including coroner’s courts, employers and the HDC (NZ medical only).
- Carrying out research to ensure that accurate and up to date advice is provided to members at all times.
- Liaise with practice staff and those of organisations, employers or equivalent bodies who may have involvement in the Complaints process.
- To develop and maintain working knowledge of expected professional standards and relevant legislation to advise members.
- To proactively manage a caseload of files, delivering a timely and effective service where members feel fully supported in every interaction.
- To be dynamic and adaptable to the changing face of the Medico/Dentolegal environment, and the needs of MPS and its membership.
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree level or equivalent experience of a similar role.
- Previous experience within a similar role ideally within a Medical or Dental setting
- Knowledge or professional regulatory frameworks (desirable)
- Previous experience of handling a case load in a legal, medical or insurance organisation (desirable)
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- High quality oral and written communication skills.
- An ability to tolerate ambiguity and uncertainty.
- An analytical and timely but pragmatic approach to problem solving.
- Good financial awareness.
- Influencing and negotiating skills.
- Superannuation 13.5% contribution
- Annual bonus scheme up to 10% (for permanent roles)
- Medical Dental Life/Trauma and Income Protection Insurance (allowance)
- 25 days annual leave
About the Company
Medical Protection Society (MPS) is the world’s leading protection organisation for doctors, dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of more than 300,000 members around the world, in countries as diverse as the United Kingdom, South Africa and Hong Kong.
We strive to be much more than a last line of defence by being at our members’ side at every step, offering support, advice and world-class defence. Membership provides access to expert advice and support together with the right to request indemnity for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
We continue to invest in our team to ensure that we are delivering the best possible service for members. This was recognised in 2016 when we were awarded an Investors in People Silver award.
Medical Protection Society